Oct. 1, 2014   57°F   School Closings
Listen Live WCPN / WCLV
ideastream
Mission 4
Values 1
Values 2
Values 3
Vision 3
Vision 4
Vision 5
Values 4
Values 5
Values 6
Vision 1
Vision 2

Choose a station:

90.3 WCPN
WCLV 104.9
WVIZ/PBS

Choose a station:

90.3 WCPN
WCLV 104.9
WVIZ/PBS
The Sound of Ideas

Energy and Risk

Posted Thursday, June 17, 2010

Share on Facebook Share
Embed Audio Download MP3 Download MP3 Play Video Watch Video

While an estimated 60,000 barrels a day of oil gush into the waters of the Gulf of Mexico, energy companies in Ohio remain eager to access the latest fuel deposit within the Rust Belt. Over 50 trillion cubic feet of natural gas can be found within the Marcellus Shale formation. It has the potential to be a gold mine, but at what risk to the surrounding community and environment? Thursday morning host Dan Moulthrop and guests discuss the science, the technology, and the risks of drilling for natural gas.

Tags

Economy, Environment, Other, Energy, Technology, Shale

Guests

Beverly Saylor, Associate Prof. of Stratigraphy and Sedimentology, Case Western Reserve University
Bill Kinney, owner, Summit Petroleum
Jack Shaner, spokesman, Ohio Environmental Council

Leave a Comment

Please follow our community discussion rules when composing your comments.

Robert Andrew 9:10 AM 6/17/10

Could you have your guests cover what is required to maintain a gas wells once they are drilled.

rick 9:36 AM 6/17/10

Please address the legendary strong-arm tactic of the oil and gas companies used to acquire leases from land owners.  In some areas if 60% of owners in an area are willing to lease their land, the other 40% are required to accept leases.

Kari Matsko 10:25 AM 6/17/10

For some reason they invited the gas company back on again and not NEOGAP who is the only Ohio group who specializes in factual unbiased health and safety information and education initiatives. We are even building websites with MIT to desiminate information the state does not make readily available!  To answer your question Robert please see contact us on www.neogap.org

E. Gage 10:57 AM 6/17/10

See how friends in New York state are reacting to the threat of fracking.
http://www.facebook.com/?tid=1282564196882&sk=messages#!/group.php?gid=194576084759

NEOGAP 11:12 AM 6/17/10

Risks to Ohio:
-275,000 oil and gas wells covering 75% of Ohio
-Many are leaking contaminents into the soil, water and air to the extent the federal EPA has 2 initiatives underway on new water & air regulations on oil and gas industry
-OH regulators are addressing neither of these issues in the interum
-Residents across the state can light their water well air on fire, scoop oil out of their tap water, gotten sick from drilling fumes, lost property due to explosions and property value due to gas wells in residential areas

RSS RSS Podcast Podcast

Live Video Stream

Watch the Sound of Ideas live

Watch the Sound of Ideas during the broadcast - view now! Live video stream available during normal broadcast, Mon-Fri, 9-10 AM (EST).

About

Every weekday at 9:00 AM (EST), The Sound of Ideas reports the news, explains the news, and sometimes makes news. The Cleveland Press Club awarded it “Best Radio Show” in Ohio and thousands daily find it to be an indispensable source of information about what’s most important to Northeast Ohioans.

Interact with The Sound of Ideas

During the show: 216-578-0903 or 866-578-0903
Last Word line: 216-916-6397 or email
Show ideas & comments? Contact Executive Editor, David Molpus.

Twitter: @soundofideas

Facebook

Recently Featured all entries

Air Dates

90.3 WCPN
Weekdays 9:00 AM

The Ohio Channel
Weekdays 9:00 AM

Funding for Ideas & The Sound of Ideas

Funding for Ideas/Sound of Ideas comes from The George Gund Foundation, The Cleveland Foundation, Eaton Corporation Charitable Fund, the George W. Codrington Charitable Foundation and the Nord Family Foundation.