Offbeat from CIM
Saturdays at 11:00 a.m., CIM’s unique radio show, Offbeat, celebrates its 10th season, providing an entertaining combination of interesting guests, slightly off-the-wall commentary and a lively behind-the-scenes tour of classical music. The show is hosted by Cavani String Quartet cellist Merry Peckham. The season runs from January 4 through March 29.
Highlights this season include:
• Member of the acclaimed Weilerstein Trio Vivian Hornik Weilerstein talks about her journey from working as a soloist, to a duo and now as a trio, while guiding other piano trios to new levels of performance.
• Member of both CIM’s faculty and the Kalichestein-Laredo-Robinsion Trio, Sharon Robinson, celebrates the great works that came before her and discusses her commitment to performances of new works.
• If the arts are a language that can convey a message or emotion, composer/pianist Lera Auerbach speaks many of those languages fluently.
• Isabel Trautwein, founder of the intensive after-school music program El Sistema at University Circle, talks about the power of the Venezuelan program in communities such as Cleveland.
• Principal clarinetist of The Cleveland Orchestra and CIM faculty member Franklin Cohen discusses the smooth, velvety tone of one of the world’s most versatile and popular instruments.