Sentencing Commission Report; Improving Community College Graduation Rates; Statehouse Update
A committee of criminal justice professionals has recommended improvements aimed at making Ohio's bail system more fair. As it is today, many poor defendants serve time awaiting trials, while those with money can purchase their freedom. We'll discuss the recommendations with the director of Ohio's Criminal Sentencing Commission and a local judge who co-chaired the committee. Then, we'll discuss an Ohio expansion of a program developed in New York that aims to help accelerate the degree process for underserved community college students. Plus, Governor Kasich weighs in on the projected cost to Ohio of the potential rollback of the Obamacare Medicaid expansion.
- Sara Andrews, Director, Criminal Sentencing Commission, The Supreme Court of Ohio
- Judge Ken Spanagel, Parma Municipal Court, Sentencing Commission Member, Ad Hoc Committee Co-Chair
- Stephanie Sutton, Assoc. Provost, Enrollment Mngmt. & Student Success/Registrar, LCCC
- Dr. J. Michael Thomson, President, Tri-C, Eastern Campus
- Karen Kasler, Ohio Statehouse News Bureau Chief