Martin Luther King Day Celebrations; MLK Library Design & "Play it Forward"
Martin Luther King, Jr.'s speech at Glenville High School in 1967 will be incorporated into the Cleveland Orchestra's MLK concert this year. Join The Sound of Ideas on Martin Luther King Jr. Day as we recap the concert and hear about celebrations happening across Northeast Ohio. We'll also learn about designs for a new MLK library and learn about "Play it Forward," where you can donate musical instruments to children in need.
MLK Celebrations Across Northeast Ohio (Credit Fox 8)
- Museums offering free admission: Akron Zoo, Akron Art Museum, Cleveland Botanical Garden, Cleveland Museum Of Natural History, Great Lakes Science Center, Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, Cleveland History Center
- GREATER CLEVELAND AQUARIUM -Guests who donate $1 or more to the United Black Fund of Greater Cleveland will receive a $10 admission ticket.
- MOCA CLEVELAND - Free admission, January 21, 11 a.m. – 3:30 p.m. Enjoy themed public programs in tribute to Martin Luther King Jr.’s legacy
- 19TH ANNUAL DR. MARTIN LUTHER KING, JR.HOLIDAY BREAKFAST CELEBRATION
7:30 a.m., The Marriott Hotel at Key Center, Public Square, Cleveland
- BASEBALL HERITAGE MUSEUM - Special programming highlighting Dr. King’s baseball inspirations, kids can make an “I have a dream” craft. January 21, 10 a.m. – 2 p.m., free admission
- CASE WESTERN RESERVE UNIVERSITY - Martin Luther King, Jr Celebration week. Begins on Friday, January 18.
- CLEVELAND CAVALIERS 15TH ANNUAL BLACK HERITAGE CELEBRATION - Monday, January 21, 1 p.m. at Quicken Loans Arena, Cavaliers vs. Chicago Bulls. The special afternoon match-up will begin a month-long Black Heritage Celebration themed “Empowering and Inspiring One Generation to the Next.”
- CLEVELAND HISTORY CENTER - Free admission, New exhibit opening honoring Rev. E. T. Caviness, ribbon cutting at noon, as well as “pop-up” activities. January 21, 10:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
- CLEVELAND ORCHESTRA COMMUNITY OPEN HOUSE
A free community open house in Severance Hall honoring the life, leadership, and vision of Dr. King. Monday, January 21, noon – 5 p.m. Free admission
- CLEVELAND PUBLIC LIBRARY, MARTIN LUTHER KING, JR. BRANCH - Cleveland Public Library’s 34th Annual Martin Luther King, Jr. Commemorative Program, includes activities, performances, music and guest keynote speaker Dr. Yvonne Pointer. January 21, 1 p.m. (doors open at noon)
- MALTZ MUSEUM OF JEWISH HERITAGE - Hear Our Voices MLK Celebration, 11 a.m. – 5 p.m. Free admission.
- THE RINK AT WADE OVAL, Noon – 7 p.m. Free skating (skate rental is $3)
- UNIVERSITY CIRCLE - On Monday, January 21, University Circle Inc. will provide a FREE shuttle bus to take visitors to the participating organizations in University Circle from 10:00am – 5:00 pm
-Rick Jackson, Host, Ideas & Ideas Sunday
-Jonathan Kurtz, Founder, JKURTZ Architects
-Felton Thomas, Executive Director & CEO, Cleveland Public Library
-Councilman Kevin Conwell, Cleveland City Council (Ward 9)
-Megan Van Voorhis, President & CEO, Arts Cleveland
-Tyrone Givhan, Junior, Cleveland High School for the Digital Arts