Guide to Ohio's 2014 Elections
Jump to the contest you'd like to learn more about.
- Congressional races
- Attorney General
- Secretary of State
- Cuyahoga County Executive
U.S. Rep. Jim Renacci vs. Pete Crossland
U.S. Rep. Marcy Kaptur vs. Richard May
U.S. Rep. Marcia Fudge vs. Mark Zetzer and U.S. Rep. Dave Joyce vs. Michael Wager & David Macko
The major party candidates for the 11th and 14th Congressional Districts discuss their bids for office in this radio piece.
Democratic candidate Ed FitzGerald sat down for an interview with Statehouse correspondent Karen Kasler. Watch the conversation on The State of Ohio. And watch a video interview with Gov. John Kasich here.
In this radio piece, FitzGerald told Kasler that despite his campaign's difficulties this summer and fall, he still has a case to make.
Meanwhile, Gov. John Kasich is running a low-key reelection campaign as the latest polling tilts strongly in his favor. He and Kasler talk about growth in low-wage jobs in Ohio and his plans for a tax on oil and gas drilling.
Here Northeast Ohio Media Group reporter Henry Gomez talks about his series on Kasich's background and political evolution.
- Measuring Ohio’s Economic Changes Under Gov. John Kasich
- Venture Capitalists and Social Safety Net Advocate Weigh in on Ohio Economy
- Sound of Ideas: State of the Working Poor
- Ohio Schools Administer First Round of Third-Grade Reading Guarantee Tests
- Ohio’s Colleges Are Earning State Funding A Little Differently
- Kasich Tacks on New Education Plans In Budget Review Process
- Five Things To Know About Vocational Education in Ohio
- Some Background on Ohio’s Pre-K Spending
- Ed FitzGerald Pushes To Expand Preschool As Nationwide Enrollment Dips
State of the State
- Parsing Gov. John Kasich’s State of the State Speech
- Kasich Proposes New Initiatives for Dropout Prevention In State-of-the-State Speech
- Mixed Story for Medina County in the Past Several Years
State budget and taxes
- Experts Debate What Should and Shouldn’t Be in the MBR
- FitzGerald Says He Backs ‘a’ Tax on Oil and Gas Drilling—Just Not Kasich’s
- Gov. Kasich Proposes New Cuts in Income Tax, Hike in Cigarette Tax, Gas Drilling Tax
- Kasich Signs Ohio Budget Including Anti-Abortion Measures and Tax Cut
- Property Tax Break for Ohio Seniors Will Be Restricted by Income for New Applicants
- Experts Debate Property Tax Changes’ Effect On Levies
- Abortion a Rallying Point for Kasich Opponents on Both Sides of Issue
- Ohio Democratic Candidates Emphasize Access to Abortion
- 2013 Was a Year of Abortion Restrictions in the Ohio Statehouse
- Ohio bans public hospital contracts with abortion clinics, influences national debate
Secretary of State
The race between Republican Secretary of State Jon Husted and his Democratic challenger, State Sen. Nina Turner, has centered on voting access. Libertarian Kevin Knedler is also challenging Husted for the office.
ideastream's Tony Ganzer spoke about Ohio's voting rules with state Republican Party chair Matt Borges and with a strong critic of the GOP's position.
Republican Dave Yost is running for reelection against two opponents, Democratic State Rep. John Patrick Carney and Libertarian candidate Bob Bridges.
Republican incumbent Josh Mandel is defending his seat from Democratic State Rep. Connie Pillich.
Mandel did not agree to a sit-down interview. But he and Pillich did answer questions from the Plain Dealer editorial board. Listen to that conversation at Cleveland.com.
Cuyahoga County Executive
Republican County Councilman Jack Schron and Democratic State Rep. Armond Budish are running for the open seat vacated by Ed FitzGerald, the outgoing county executive.