The man suspected of murdering at least three women and disposing of their bodies in an East Cleveland neighborhood has been charged, and is being held on $6 million bond.
The man suspected of murdering at least three women and disposing of their bodies in an East Cleveland neighborhood has been charged, and is being held on $6M bond.
35 year old Michael Madison was charged with three counts each of aggravated murder and kidnapping. He faces a possible death sentence if convicted.
At his bond hearing in East Cleveland Court, Madison's attorney said her client was waiving his right to a preliminary hearing, and his case was turned over to the Cuyahoga County Court.
At a press conference just before the hearing, East Cleveland Mayor Gary Norton called the discovery of the murders a "troubling circumstance."
"We are in the midst of tragedy," he said.
He then revealed the identity of one of the victims - Angela Deskins of Cleveland, who is believed to have been 38 years old. Previously referred to as Victim #2, Deskins was identified through fingerprint records.
The other two victims remain unidentified. Cuyahoga County Medical Examiner Dr. Thomas Gilson says the bodies are severely decomposed, and that his office is in the process of putting together DNA and dental profiles. He says a wider fingerprint database will also be accessed in an attempt to identify the victims.
Gilson says relatives of reported missing persons have not been asked to provide DNA samples.
Madison is a registered sex offender, after serving 4 years at Lorain Correctional Institution for attempted rape beginning in 2002. Prior to that he had two convictions for drug possession.
After the first of the three victims was found Friday decomposing in a plastic garbage bag, Madison was arrested following a standoff with police. Norton says Authorities say he then said something that indicated there were other victims, and a police search conducted in the area where the first body was found turned up two more.
More than a hundred volunteers continued to search for bodies on Sunday, finding none. Police say they will continue follow up on any tips they receive.