Nov. 1, 2014   43°F   School Closings
Listen Live WCPN / WCLV
ideastream
Mission 4
Values 1
Values 2
Values 3
Vision 3
Vision 4
Vision 5
Values 4
Values 5
Values 6
Vision 1
Vision 2

Choose a station:

90.3 WCPN
WCLV 104.9
WVIZ/PBS

Choose a station:

90.3 WCPN
WCLV 104.9
WVIZ/PBS

DeWine: 145 Ohio Schools Haven’t Submitted Safety Plans

Monday, December 17, 2012 at 4:39 PM

Share on Facebook Share Share on Twitter Tweet

Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine says the state has some good protocols in place in the event that a shooter enters an Ohio school. After the shooting in Chardon last year, DeWine says schools were required to submit a safety plan for their building along with a map of the school. He says that information is then uploaded in a statewide computer system that police departments can access quickly.

DEWINE: “The responding police officer can actually pull that up in real time and look the format of the school, look at basically the blueprint of that school and that may be important.”

DeWine says 145 schools throughout the state haven’t yet submitted their plans and maps. He’s hoping they will do that this week, especially in light of the recent school shooting in Connecticut. DeWine says his office provides one day seminars for school leaders to learn how to prevent school shootings and deal with one if it happens. He encourages school districts to take advantage of that resource.

Tags

Education, Government/Politics

Leave a Comment

Please follow our community discussion rules when composing your comments.