The first step in any battle plan is to "know your enemy."
- What do these invaders look like?
- What makes them different from what’s already here?
- How does this make them so dangerous?
Student Investigation Resources:
- Fish Dissection Game - from Oracle Thinkquest
- Freshwater Fish Anatomy - Wisconsin Sea Grant
- Bighead and Silver Carp facts - Minnesota Department of Natural Resources
- Silver Carp Interactive Map - U.S. Geological Survey
- Big Head Carp Interactive Map - U.S. Geological Survey
- What Are Asian Carp and Why Are They A Problem? - U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
- Asian Carp Brochure (PDF) - U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
- Big Head and Silver carp images (U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service) Click thumbnail to view larger image.
- Asian Carp ID- Lateral Line Count- In this segment, John Hageman shows Dante a feature that helps identify Silver carp.
Video Supplements (click on the links below to view additional footage not included in the program):
Choose link from scrolling window - thumbnails link to investigation pages containing videos, links, lesson plans, and additional resources.
Teacher Comments and Feedback
Please use this forum to provide us with feedback, suggest possible improvements, and to list additional classroom resources and activities that you have found useful in your own classroom.