For the moment, we seem to be safe, but what are some of the things scientists are doing to prepare for a possible Asian Carp invasion.
- Can we take what we have learned from the management and control of other invasive species in Lake Erie to prepare for an invasion of the Asian Carp?
- What techniques are used to gather evidence of whether a management strategy is showing signs of success?
- Are there ever unintended consequences that occur due to these techniques?
Student Investigation Resources:
- "Nab The Aquatic Invader" online activity - National Sea Grant College Program
- Ohio Coastal Management Program Resources - National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA)
- Rotenone Control Strategies (PDF) file P1954: Using Rotenone To Renovate Fish Populations in Farm Ponds - Mississippi State University
- Invasive Species - U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Great Lakes Region
Choose link from scrolling window - thumbnails link to investigation pages containing videos, links, lesson plans, and additional resources.
Teacher Comments and Feedback
Please use this forum to provide us with feedback, suggest possible improvements, and to list additional classroom resources and activities that you have found useful in your own classroom.